INTRODUCTION TO THE ROLE
- The Teradata Saudi Arabia Analytics Business Consulting team is responsible for customer success in the arena of ‘Big Data’ and Advanced Analytics and seeks to expand its consulting team with a talented Senior Data Scientist to provide leadership in its Advanced Analytic Solutions.
- This role provides a challenging opportunity for a self-motivated consultant with a strong Analytical background and a track record of delivering analytic solutions into large enterprise accounts.
- As an integral member of the Analytics team this role will help further drive value and new, cutting edge opportunities for our customers and for Teradata.
- As the leader in Integrated and Active Data Warehousing and business intelligence, Teradata and its customers have long been thought and execution leaders in the use of data to drive actionable insight to deliver value. They have collectively been addressing what is now being described as ‘big data’ use cases and challenges years before the term was first coined.
- But beyond the hype, ‘big data’ brings a new set of opportunities and challenges. This also brings new technology and analytic capabilities, at which Teradata is forefront. With this comes requirement for customers to understand how to evolve their business models and existing processes to tap into the new opportunities.
- The Senior Data Scientist articulates industry vision and trends and provides advanced analytics expertise to marketing and sales activities. The Senior Data Scientist establishes or enhances senior client relationships, provides subject matter expertise on consulting engagements, and identifies new target opportunities emerging within the industry. You will be expected to establish and maintain relationships with key client personnel, developing a trusted adviser role for the strategic use of advanced analytics.
- The role will involve supporting new sales opportunities as well as work on the deployment project post-sale. It is expected that at least 70% of working time will be client facing, billable work with the balance being pre-sales leadership and professional/solution development.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- The Data Scientist sifts through the data for useful nuggets of information, and then presents it to the client to allow business decisions to be made on the findings. The analysis process involves assembling and preparing the data, designing the experimental process, and executing the actual analysis.
- The Data Scientist will have a strong analytic background in mathematics and the application of statistics. Teradata is a leader in the development and delivery of solutions across the multi-genre disciplines of advanced analytics – data preparation, Statistics, Machine Learning, Path/Pattern analysis, Text analysis and Graph processing. Industry specific methods and solutions are used to solve industry specific tasks. The Senior Data Scientist will be at the forefront of developing and evangelizing these capabilities. Strong communication skills are required to convey complex analytical results to business sponsors of programs.
o Consult to understand customer business use cases and be able to translate them to use case specifications and vision on how to implement an analytic solution.
o Lead Teradata Analytic Consulting engagements and mentor junior team members during the projects.
o Achieve defined project goals within customer deadlines; proactively communicate status and escalate issues as needed.
o Acts as an industry spokesperson and subject matter expert articulating the value of Teradata’s Analytic ISV Partnerships (SAS, Revolution R, Fuzzy Logix, Hadoop partners) and Teradata Aster value to external audiences.
o Develop new ideas for Teradata Analytic Solutions and Services to take to market. Capture and share IP and experience from client engagements.
o Leverage knowledge in analytic and statistical algorithms to help customer explore methods to improve their business by optimizing the Analytic process and developing new capabilities.
o Perform qualification of prospects to define sales strategies based on a thorough understanding of each prospect’s analytic challenges and business needs.
o Develop demonstrations, presentations, white papers, benchmarking tools and other tools as needed to support sales and marketing.
o Work with marketing on related events in assigned territories such as trade shows and webinars.
o Advise clients and Sales on the use of Big Data solutions and Analytics on non-traditional Data Types (Clickstream, Sensor Data, Machine Data, Unstructured).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
o Graduate and likely postgraduate research degree in a scientific discipline possibly accompanied by business education.
o 3 years of proven success in a ‘sales’ environment, guiding and persuading others to follow your ideas.
o 5 years’ experience in data analysis, exploration, preparation, mining, utilizing standard tools such as R, Python, SAS, SPSS, S , Teradata Warehouse Miner, Matlab.
o 5 years’ experience in scripting / program languages (Perl, C, Java) for data manipulation and analysis.
o Experience with MapReduce and Spark frameworks, Hadoop and other distributed/parallel processing systems is a plus.
o Experience with Data visualization and visual story-telling.
o Demonstrated skills in discovery, validating hypotheses, cross industry knowledge, trend discovery and implementation of analytic programs, both from a hands on development, and a communication of those experiences
o Leadership – able to contribute to strategic planning whilst maintaining and delivering operational and tactical requirements. Able to influence and persuade peers as a trusted advisor.
o Consulting and problem solving – ability to think ‘outside the square’ to create and advise on functional, technical and commercial solutions for clients.
o A scientific approach: the approach is of chief investigator to a problem only data science can solve.
o A motivated, proactive, organized and “self-starting” attitude and working style. Strong personal and team goal orientation.
o Outstanding interpersonal, communication and presentation skills – able to present to business and technical thought leaders: Senior Business Analysts and Business Leaders such as CMO, CRO or CFO; Senior technical personnel such as CTO or Chief Architect.
o Ability to translate complex mathematical, scientific, statistical or other technical concepts into simple terms, understandable to his/her team members.
o Ability to transcend his/her industry of origin: many analytical approaches involve leveraging techniques, models, best practices developed in one industry, and applying them in others. The ability to see these connections is important in this role.