The Business Information Modeler is responsible for transforming business information into logical and physical data models and managing the enterprise data model. The emphasis on this position is the “modeling of the business” that is required for a successful Information Management environment. This goes beyond the role of a typical application level “data modeler” in that it requires modeling from an enterprise perspective rather than from a single business function perspective.
The Business Information Modeler is proficient in industry standard techniques for process modeling and data modeling. Within data modeling, the Business Information Modeler must be proficient in 3rd normal form relational modeling as well as dimensional modeling. Experience with alternate modeling techniques such as Data Vault, and key modeling as it relates to Big Data would be a strong added value.
A Business Information Modeler understands semantic modeling requirements and concepts, and when working with associated consultants, can design and document semantic models that are required for specific applications. This role must be experienced in group facilitation with participants from diverse business functions and work skills. The Business Information Modeler may be the Project Tech Lead on a project.
As BI Modeler, you will:
• Design and normalize the logical data model to third normal form
• Facilitate the discovery of entities, attributes, relationships, and business rules from the functional experts and the user community
• Prepare fully refined data models in accordance with the modeling guidelines, conventions and best practices
• Develop and manage data models and associated metadata for the enterprise
• Work with all related consultants to design and document semantic models
• Translate LDMs and Semantic Models into their physical representations
• Enhance new and existing models with entities to represent client specific key models
• Maintain and publish project business rules and the associated enterprise data dictionary
• Evaluate access paths for data which spans multiple deployed technologies; provide recommendations for optimizations in accessing these heterogeneous relationships
What you need to be successful in this role:
• Minimum 3 years of experience in similar role
• In depth knowledge of data modeling methodologies and techniques and some of the data modeling tools (e.g. PowerDesigner, Erwin, etc.)
• Knowledge of DWH/BI concepts, architecture principles, advocated positions, design patterns, and implementation alternatives
• Experience with database systems such as Teradata, Oracle or MSSQL in similar position (analysis, database object design, reports creation, source-to-target mappings)
• Good SQL knowledge
• English language on communicative level