The Engagement Partner (EP) is responsible for PS business development and delivery of Teradata, Teradata Aster, Hadoop, and Teradata Application solution services within an assigned territory (may be geographic, account, or industry based). This position is a “specialist role” that differs from the standard PS Partner position in that, with the exception of Solution Architects, it does not have direct management responsibility for a pool of PS resources, but rather, focuses on the management and growth of client relationships through effective engagement delivery. To perform effectively, the EP must have a full understanding of Teradata methodology with respect to Teradata data warehousing, Teradata Aster, Hadoop, and Teradata Applications projects. In conjunction with the Account Executive, the Engagement Partner executes the sales strategy through effective customer meetings, high-level customer relationships, personal and professional credibility, and the development of proposals and Statements of Work. It is the Engagement Partner who positions and drives the sale of Teradata Professional Services and serves as the lead Professional Services negotiator for proposals and contracts in addition to managing the outlook process, customer revenue and orders, and assuming full accountability for customer invoicing and related issues.
As a key PS manager, the Engagement Partner directs, manages, and supports the execution and delivery of customer solutions from a services perspective. This includes project direction, the performance of project audits and quality checks, participation in client steering committees, and maintenance of client relationships while meeting revenue and profitability targets. In summary, the EP has responsibility for PS orders, PS revenue, PS profit, engagement planning, engagement staffing, engagement execution, engagement quality, and client satisfaction. The EP may also provide guidance and investment recommendations to the respective Business Solutions Group in their specialization area. Typically this position directly reports to the Area Managing Partner. Indirectly, the EP may direct up to 50 consultants.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Gain understanding of a specific customer, including the business, industry, company profile, business plan and key initiatives in the organization.
• Participate in Account Strategy and Account Planning sessions.
• Provide scoping, planning, cost estimating, and pricing of PS engagements in conjunction with the Practice Partner. Responsible for statement of work development and risk assessment, including but not limited to defining goals and objectives, identifying client requirements, resource requirements, budget, risks and the translation of the client’s business requirements into specific deliverables.
• Work with Partners, Resource Partners, and Managing Partners to staff projects appropriately and to ensure consultants have required training and internal support to meet customer needs throughout the duration of the engagement.
• Work with Global Consulting Centers to properly engage offshore resources.
• Utilize Teradata Approved Vendors and Partners in project staffing.
• Work with the TSM group to ensure all aspects of the implementation methodology are included in proposal and delivery of consulting services.
• Improve internal support systems and processes.
• Drive the use, reuse, and creation of Teradata PS knowledge assets.
• Direct solution implementation engagements, of moderate to high complexity, or a collection of multiple smaller projects. Act as project manager of projects as required.
• Provide proactive project governance, in conjunction with the Executive Program Manager, for all projects under the Project Director’s span of control, including structured reviews and oversight of project activities.
• Ensure engagements are completed on-time, within budget, and within customer expectations for quality and functionality. Increase profitability of engagements by ensuring project time and expense reporting, PSA input, and project financials are forecasted, tracked and managed according to the project and SOW requirements.
• Manage customer expectations in line with the agreed statement of work and day-to-day relationships with client stakeholders. Manage resolution of all issues relating to PS engagements.
• Maintain and communicate engagement status to all stakeholders in reports and meetings. Insure consistency, accuracy and timeliness of communications across all stakeholder groups.
• Identify sales opportunities; participate in pre-sales planning, engagement pricing, bid review and presentation of sales proposals.
• Responsible for the collection of project collateral, and when appropriate, document best practices or lessons learned to be shared across the PS community.
• Knowledge of Architecture Principles, Advocated Positions, Design Patterns, and Implementation Alternatives.
• Understanding of the Teradata Reference Information Architecture.
Skill Category Mapping
Consulting Skills Primary Skill
Business/ IT Consulting Primary Skill
Business & Operations Management Secondary Skill
HR Management Secondary Skill
Strategic Management Primary Skill
Technical Skill Category Mapping
Service Offers Primary Skill
Industry Knowledge Secondary Skill
Project Mgmt: Data Warehousing Skills Primary Skill
Project Mgmt: Foundation Skills Primary Skill
Teradata Active Data Warehousing Knowledge Secondary Skill
Teradata Applications Knowledge
Teradata Architecture Primary Skill
Teradata Aster Knowledge
Tools – Business Intelligence Knowledge
Tools – Development Knowledge
Tools – Enterprise Application Integration Knowledge
Tools – ETL Knowledge
Tools – Modeling Knowledge
Tools – Monitoring and Control Primary Skill
Tools – Teradata Knowledge
Tools – Testing Knowledge
Education and Experience Requirements
• BS, MBA, or MS in business, technical or professional discipline or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of five years as an internal or external consultant with broad exposure and experience in a variety of circumstances and a proven record of success.
• Hands-on experience in multiple business disciplines such as consulting services, business operations, project management, information technology, software development, and marketing and sales with a proven ability and record of success.
• Personal growth and continuous education in business strategies, design concepts and methodologies and/or technologies.
• Strong communication and presentation skills. Able to effectively represent Teradata, Teradata Aster, Teradata Applications, Hadoop, and the PS organization